Actual Window Manager History
Version history for Actual Window Manager shows you how often it was updated over the past months (starting Mar 24, 2005) as well as 'what is new' information for each update (if available, since this information provided by the author).
v 8.9.1 updated on Sep 11, 2016
1) Actual Taskbar fixed for Windows 10 Anniversary Update. 2) Actual Taskbar group window functions fixed for Windows 7+. 3) Lock Screen background fixed for Windows 8+ x64. 4) Multi-monitor Screen Saver fixed.
v 8.9 updated on Sep 05, 2016
1) Added proper high DPI scaling for Actual Taskbar jump lists and thumbnail previews, Virtual Desktop Switcher, extra title buttons, Log window, program dialogs. 2) Added ability to invoke advanced title button dialogs via hotkeys. 3) Added ability to set arbitrary folder for configuration files.
v 8.8 updated on Aug 10, 2016
1) Configuration: Back/Forward buttons added. 2) Configuration: Incremental Search box added. 3) Configuration: List of specific Window Settings removed from the navigation tree. 4) Configuration: Global Options subitems removed from the navigation tree and transformed into tabs.
v 8.7 updated on Feb 15, 2016
1) Sizing/dragging of several adjacent windows added. 2) Support of Metro apps in Windows 10. 3) Actual Taskbar improved for Windows 10. 4) Extra title buttons fixed in Office 2013+ apps. 5) Numerous changes in the main Configuration window. 6) Google web slideshow source removed.
v 8.5 updated on Sep 14, 2015
1) Windows 10 basic compatibility. 2) Vista+: Logon/Lock Screen background image changer added with slideshow on secondary monitors. 3) Vista+: Default Audio Device Switcher added. 4) Environment variables in Favorite Folders paths. 5) Next Slide command affects single monitor only.
v 8.4 updated on Jun 04, 2015
1) Improved Compact View in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. 2) Improved Actual Taskbar view in latest Windows 10 builds. 3) Fixed rare crashes when unloading Actual Window Manager. 4) Fixed NuSphere PhpEd 15 debugger hanging at startup. 5) Improved compatibility with MAGIX products.
v 8.3 updated on Apr 21, 2015
1) Snap Assist feature added. 2) Win10-style Virtual Desktops Switcher added. 3) Search and Task View taskbar buttons added. 4) Image previews in Clipboard History added. 5) High DPI support improved. 6) Toggling desktop icons by middle double click added. 7) Desktop Divider improved.
v 8.2.2 updated on Nov 30, 2014
1) Windows 8.1 Update 1 compatibility. 2) Windows 10 compatibility. 3) Quick Setup wizard. 4) Multi-window configuration. 5) Compact view for title buttons. 6) Exact secondary display position. 7) Background slideshow interval in seconds. 8) Default window settings propagate to specific settings.
v 6.5 updated on May 31, 2011
1) Display cloning and rotation in Windows 7. 2) Independent lists of virtual desktops on different monitors. 3) Hard/soft mouse lock in a current monitor. 4) Custom mouse click actions with adjustable parameters. 5) Control buttons in preview thumbnails. 6) Context menu for Jump List items.
v 6.4 updated on Mar 14, 2011
1) Desktop mirroring: area around the mouse pointer, window, monitor, arbitrary part of desktop, zoom in/out, fixed/variable scale. 2) Custom hotkeys with adjustable parameters. 3) Pin documents to Jump Lists on secondary taskbars. 4) Close button in live previews. 5) Back up/restore configuration.
v 6.3 updated on Dec 20, 2010
1) Jump Lists on secondary taskbars under Win 7. 2) Per-monitor background slideshow. 3) Scroll inactive windows. 4) Switch the mouse between monitors via hotkeys. 5) Maximize to selected monitors. 6) Move to Monitor preview dialog. 7) Classic and Aero Snap combined. 8) Aero Glow on title buttons.
v 6.2 updated on Aug 10, 2010
1) Grouping buttons on secondary taskbars. 2) Regular expressions to detect a target window by its caption. 3) New hotkeys: Lock Mouse and Ignore Deactivation. 4) Snapping a window to other windows from inside. 5) Maximize to Desktop fixed. 6) Title buttons compatible with MS Office 2010.
v 6.1 updated on Jun 15, 2010
1) Pin to Taskbar, Aero Peek, Show Desktop on secondary taskbars. 2) Multi-monitor Background Slideshow. 3) Toggle secondary monitors via tray icon's menu and hotkeys. 4) Set primary display via tray icon's menu. 5) Batch switching of windows between monitors. 6) Better work with consoles in Win7.
v 6.0 updated on Feb 13, 2010
1) System tray and toolbars (Quick Launch, etc.) on secondary monitors. 2) Console windows support on Win7. 3) Snap windows to desktop and to each other. 4) Easy drag/size windows by any point. 5) Customizable clicks on title bar and regular title buttons. 6) Many fixed bugs/stability issues on x64.
v 5.2 updated on Oct 23, 2008
1) The feature to display the Taskbar on secondary displays in multi-monitor configuration is added. 2) The feature to display the Task Switcher window on secondary displays is added. 3) The new Quick Settings dialog is added. 4) Now the title buttons look fully native under Windows Vista Aero.
v 5.1 updated on Jun 27, 2008
Actual Window Manager 5.1 (23.06.2008)
[!] The ability to create/manage virtual desktops is added. Now you can:
- create as many virtual desktops as you need
- assign custom wallpaper to a certain virtual desktop
- assign custom hotkey to a certain virtual desktop for its
- switch between existing virtual desktops via special "Next
desktop"/"Previous desktop" hotkeys
- send any specific window upon its startup to a certain virtual desktop or
make it visible on all virtual desktops
- move windows between virtual desktops via special title button/window
[+] Now you can edit multiple specific settings at once in the Configuration
Module (use Ctrl+
v 4.5 updated on Jun 25, 2007
[!] Windows Monitoring Log tool is added into the Control Center. It allows detecting newly appeared windows and check, which window rule has been applied in each particular case. Now you can easily solve any configuration ambiguities and detect properties of short-living windows (like tool tips, popup menus etc.). Be careful using this feature: turned on it may slow down your system! [+] The new great long-awaited "Run keyboard macro" feature is added: now you can define the keyboard macro and send it to a certain window at its startup, thus automating some regular initial actions. [+] The new "Change program affinity" feature is added: if using a multi-processor system, now you can control, which physical processors a particular application should run on. [+] The ability to hide the mouse pointer, while it is floating over the specific window, is added. [+] The ability to copy settings from a selected window rule to others is added. [+] The new hotkeys are added: - "Reapply settings" action (Win+F5 by default) - Configuration Module's launch (Win+C by default) - "Unhide" submenu that shows the list of currently minimized/hidden windows (Win+H by default) [+] Now the hotkey status is displayed in the "Hotkeys" panel of the "Options" window: when defining a new key combination, you can see, if the defined combination is already in use with another application or assigned to another action. [+] The on-the-fly transparency setting is added: when right-clicking the "Make Transparent" title button, the slider control appears instead of the context menu with predefined values; while dragging this slider, the transparency level is being changed immediately, thus allowing a quicker and easier choice of desired appearance. [+] When minimizing to screen, now you can make screen icons semi-transparent. [+] New title buttons are added: Copy to Clipboard, Paste from Clipboard. [+] The new "Keep window caption persistent" option is added to the "Change window caption" feature. [+] The ability to temporarily disable the automatic rolling up via Roll Up title button's context menu or Roll Up window menu's submenu is added. [+] Now the balloon tip is shown over the Control Center's tray icon at first start after the installation. [*] The internal mechanism of hotkeys processing is significantly improved. [*] The long-awaited improvement for permanent tray/screen icons is made: now permanent icons behave like buttons in the Taskbar (i.e. active window is minimized, inactive window is activated, minimized window is restored). [*] The "Index" window rule panel is updated: now it displays all currently enabled windows settings of a certain rule. [*] The options structure is redesigned: new "Triggers" and "Actions" grouping nodes are added. [*] The "Hide Configuration Module while using Window Finder" option has been moved from General to User Interface. [*] "Custom Position" and "Custom Size" dialogs now display current window position/size values in their captions. [*] The "Alignment" window menu's submenu now displays the current window position. [*] Title buttons appearance in Windows Vista is improved. [*] The placement restriction area visualization is improved for non-standard taskbar placements. [-] The "orphaned title buttons" bug in Windows Vista is fixed: sometimes title buttons used to get detached from their owner window and stuck on the desktop. [-] Compatibility conflicts are solved with: - Quattro Pro X3 menus - GrabIt internal windows - MS Office XP CTFMON.EXE service - X-NetStat application [-] The conflict with the Microsoft Time Zone window is solved. [-] Windows Layout tool now correctly handles maximized windows. [-] Windows Layout tool now correctly handles Photoshop CS2 document windows while working in a multiple display environment. [-] Now the "Configure..." item of Control Center tray icon's context menu is displayed correctly in Windows Vista. [-] Transparency effect conflicts are solved with: - CDArtdisplay application - Emerge Desktop application - Windows Vista Start button [-] The bug of the "minimize-to-screen" feature is fixed: sometimes screen icons used to go out of visible area after minimization. [-] Title buttons now work properly in PowerPoint 2007. [-] Title buttons' behavior in Outlook 2007 is improved. [-] The conflict with the IE 7 "Search on this page" window is solved. [-] The bug of incorrect behavior of "Restrict placement" feature in multi-monitor configurations is fixed. [-] Sometimes windows used to freeze in the rolled state and needed to be resized manually instead of unrolling - now the Unroll function works always as expected.
v 4.4 updated on Apr 26, 2007
[!] The long-awaited feature of "smart saving" is added: now only relevant windows will re-apply their settings when the configuration has been saved. [+] The long-awaited feature is added: now all the minimized windows can be restored via "Unhide"/"Unhide All" items of Control Center's tray icon context menu. [+] The Windows Layout tool is added: it provides the ability to automatically or manually relocate/resize your currently opened windows to keep them within desktop when its resolution is changed (it's very useful when working with the same workstation both locally and through the Remote Desktop client). [+] The long-awaited feature is added: now it's possible to remove the standard window parts like Minimize/Maximize/Close buttons, window icon, window sizeable border, or window caption so fixing window in its current state and preventing its moving/resizing/minimizing/closing. [+] The new Pin-to-Desktop feature is added: when window is pinned it disappears from taskbar and Alt-Tab sequence and can't be minimized in any way so it's visible all the time until it's unpinned. [+] The ability is added to adjust the font used by the Configuration Module (refer to the "User Interface" property sheet in the "Options" window). [+] The ability is added to turn on smooth transitions between different transparency levels (refer to the "Make Transparent Action" property sheet in the "Options" window). [+] The ability is added to turn on the smooth rolling up/unrolling of windows (refer to the "Roll Up Action" property sheet in the "Options" window). [+] The ability is added for the "Send Configuration to Tech Support" main menu command: if the automatic e-mail creation is failed then you can save the archive with the configuration files somewhere to send it manually later. [+] Translations to Brazilian Portuguese, Serbian (both Latin and Cyrillic) and Polish languages are added. [*] Run-time memory consumption is slightly reduced. [*] All property sheets for window rule settings are significantly redesigned; the new window rule features' Index panel is added. [*] Now the Configuration Module remembers its main toolbars' placement and column widths in most of list boxes. [*] The transparency effect compatibility with Stardock WindowBlinds is improved. [*] The Resize Action Options property sheet is improved: now you can copy items and adjust the height of Sizes list box. [*] The visualization of allowed area provided by the Show button of the "Restrict placement" feature is improved: now it displays the semi-transparent green rectangle that shows the area of allowed placement. [*] The "Unused Buttons" button (grouping button) is improved: now it takes the icon and the tooltip of assigned function, if mouse-hovered. [*] Now title buttons are displayed correctly when using Vista Transformation Pack, XP Media Center Edition theme or some of StyleXP themes. [-] The bug with Microsoft Project 2002/2003 is fixed. [-] The bug with command shell extenders (like 4NT) is fixed. [-] Transparency effect's conflict with Rainlendar 2, RocketDock, Samurize and Y'z Shadow is fixed. [-] The bug is fixed: XP Remote Desktop client was crashed if minimized to the system tray, and then the configuration was saved. [-] The bug is fixed: the Windows Vista Firewall with Advanced Security's GUI was hung when the "New Rule..." button was pressed while running the Actual Tools program. [-] The bug is fixed: now title buttons work correctly in Excel 2007. [-] The bug is fixed: now multiple instances of Excel 2003/2007 workbooks and Acrobat 7 documents can be correctly minimized to the system tray. [-] The bug is fixed: if in multi-monitor configuration some windows were placed to a secondary display, and it was unplugged during the session then such windows are moved automatically to the primary display. [-] The bug with Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar's hang is fixed. [-] Conflicts with Microsoft Office 2007 tool tips and popup menus are fixed. [-] The bug is fixed: Mozilla applications (Firefox, Thunderbird) left their taskbar entry if they were minimized to the system tray via the standard Minimize button. [-] The bug with VMware Workstation 5.5 crash while opening the Snapshot Manager is fixed. [-] The visual glitch is fixed when using the Tabbed Browsing plugin of Windows Live! Toolbar. [-] The bug is fixed: Eudora was crashed immediately at startup if there any of extra Actual Tools buttons were added. [-] The bug of incorrect window placement to a primary display while it's resized on secondary display is fixed. [-] The bug of adding a new rule to the empty Specific Windows list is fixed.
v 4.1 updated on Aug 08, 2006
[+] Multi-monitor support: the new "Move to next monitor" title button is added. [+] Multi-monitor support: the new "Move to" window menu option is added. [+] Multi-monitor support: the ability to move a window to the selected monitor at window's startup is added. [+] The ability to maximize window to desktop by the right-click on the standard Maximize title button is added. [+] The ability to stretch window by the right-click on its border is added. [+] the ability to set the custom position for a window on the fly is added. [+] Currently assigned hotkey's display is added in the title buttons' tooltips. [+] Currently assigned hotkey's display is added in the window options' names. [*] The work speed and overall stability were slightly improved. [-] The bug with the internal windows of MS Visual Studio 2003/2005 is fixed. [-] The bug of MS Outlook Express auto-restoration from the tray while changing the display properties is fixed. [-] The bug is fixed: even if the maximal window size was constrained in the configuration, the Maximize button still had expanded it to the whole desktop. [-] The minor visual glitch with the Excluded Windows list in the right pane is fixed.
v 4.0 updated on May 16, 2006
[!] The Configuration Module's user interface is redesigned totally. [!] Settings file size is significantly reduced comparing to the previous versions. [!] Executable modules' size and run-time memory consumption are slightly reduced. [!] The Help contents is redesigned almost from scratch. [+] The Help system has become context-sensitive. [+] Added the ability to copy window rules. [+] Added the ability to customize an icon for a particular Specfic Window rule. [+] Added the ability to automatically create the e-mail message with the attached configuration file. [+] Window Selector tool form now has the "Refresh" button. [+] Window Selector's "Flash window" indication is improved: now it shows the window border even for a covered windows and also flashes window's taskbar button. [+] "Create/Modify window rule" window menu option was transformed into a submenu named "Manage Window Rule" which provides the following abilities for a particular window: - create a new/modify the existent Specific Window rule - create an Excluded Window rule - re-apply the window rule [+] If a window was processed with the particular Specific Window rule the "Modify window rule" window menu item now indicates this rule's name. [+] Added the ability to customize some user interface's options (like toolbars' buttons size). [*] Now every new Specific Window rule is created using the All Windows rule as a template. [+] Added the "Restore to Defaults" command which resets a particular Specific Window rule's options to All Windows rule's options. [*] The correct scaling of the user interface forms is implemented when using the non-standard screen DPIs. [+] Added the ability to set different settings for the different window events/states for the following properties: transparency level - for the creation, movement, resizing, deactivation, mouse hovering, title bar double-click, "Transparency" title button priority level - for the creation, minimization, deactivation, "Priority" title button [+] Added the ability to combine automatically some window states: transparency - with stay-on-top, ghost rollup - with stay-on-top [+] Added the ability to provide a shift values when a window is aligned. [+] Added the ability to set the desired width/height values as a percent of the corresponding desktop size. [+] Window Finder internal tool was adapted for the detection of the current window size and position. [+] Minimization-to-tray and minimization-on-screen actions were unified into a single action named "AltMin" (Alternatively Minimize) which provides the unified options and the ability to select the minimization mode on the fly. [+] The ghost mode was separated from the transparency and now can be turned on independently. [+] Added the new title buttons items for the following actions: Ghost, Change Priority. [+] Added the new window menu items for the following actions: Ghost, Change Priority. [+] Added the indication of the current state for the following title buttons: AltMin, Change Transparency, Align, Resize, Ghost, Change Priority. [+] Added the skin support for the title buttons to fit them into the different visual themes. [+] Added the ability to change the order of title buttons' appearance. [+] Added the ability to enable/disable all the extra title buttons for a particular window rule. [+] Added the ability to enable/disable all the extra window menu items for a particular window rule. [+] Added the ability to "freeze" the window stay-on-top state which prevents the application from resetting this state. [*] The recognition of window mouse-hovering is improved. [-] Fixed the bug with Windows Movie Maker: it had hung after stream capture was started. [-] Fixed the bug with Adobe Photoshop: the image window had lost the focus after selecting any tool in the Tools panel. [-] Fixed the bug with the Windows folders: if you close the rolled up folder window then it will be restored with the incorrect size.
v 3.8 updated on Oct 04, 2005
[*] Fixed the bug: if minimized-to-tray application was restored by self or other application and not through the tray icon, in some programs icon remained in tray. To name just a few: Windows Task Manager, TextPad, Microsoft Outlook. [*] Fixed the bug with undesired window activation from the tray when delayed auto-minimizing of inactive window is turned on. [*] Default Window Rule: the bug with transient transparency effects (when "set transparency while being moved/dragged" and "set transparency while being resized" options are enabled) was fixed. [-] Default Window Rule: the bug with "temporarily unroll the window while the mouse cursor moves over the window" effect was fixed. [*] Work with almost all integer-valued entry fields has been simplified. Now, one can start entering numbers from empty line and minus as a first symbol in window position fields is possible. [*] Options Dialog: the disappearance of hotkeys list when all flags are disabled and all "Hotkey" values are set to "None" is fixed. [-] Window Rule: "Window class" criterion's "Substring match" option has been removed. Now the criterion's test is always made as checking a join of "Window class" field's entered string into real window class name. [*] Window system menu: the problem with incomplete activation of Configuration Module when choosing command "Create/Modify Window Rule" was finally solved.
v 3.7 updated on Aug 10, 2005
[-] Fixed the bug that caused blinking of the title buttons. Support of visual themes in Windows XP for title buttons has also been improved. [-] The "Resize Window" action have been improved. The new version restores window sizes correctly. Also the program works fine with windows opened full screen. [-] Fixed the bug that didn't allow setting the previous level of transparency correctly in Windows 2000. [+] A new rule has been added to apply a semi-transparency effect to Tablet PC Input Panel. [+] Added supports of RAdmin remote access windows. [*] We have improved window class identification. Exact matching of the entered window class with the real window class is no longer required. [-] Fixed the bug that didn't allow the Configuration Module to restore correctly when accessed through the "Create/Modify Window Rule" command of the menu. [-] Fixed the bugs in the contextual menu in the Configuration Module tree.
v 3.5 updated on Mar 24, 2005
Windows Extension Engine is improved. Added "Set Minimum Size" and "Set Maximum Size" actions. Added "Hide Configuration Window when using the Window Finder (gunsight) tool" option. Added "Enable All Rules" and "Disable All Rules" commands. Added context menu for Window Rules. Supports of MFC windows (window class like Afx:X:X:X:X:X) Memory usage and load speed optimization.
Go back to the Actual Window Manager review