Akeni LAN messenger is a cross-platform instant messenger client.
Version: 1.2.104Akeni LAN Messenger client is an IM system designed for your LAN. It is easy to setup and does not requires a dedicated server or Internet connection. The rich client support chat, notification, conferencing, and file transfer.
Operating System: Linux
For those who also need authentication and encryption, please take a look at our Expert and Pro products.
If your organization needs a web based solution that requires no client side installation of software, please take a look at our Web Chat.
Due to the peer-to-peer nature of the product, there is no single point of failure and there is no need for any network setup.
This make Akeni LAN Messenger a good solution for dynamic environment where two people can communicate with one another as long as the network itself is up and running.
For example, LAN Messenger can be used by IT support personnel who needs a way to communicate and send files with each other anywhere in their network easily, without the need to connect to the Internet or to a centralized server.
Here are some key features of "Akeni LAN Messenger":
No Server Required:
· Simply run the program and you'll be communicating with your co-workers immediately. You don't need a dedicated server or an administrator to run Akeni LAN Messenger.
· You don't need administrator privileges to install or run the program under Windows 2000 and Windows XP. If the computer can access the Internet, then it is already setup and ready to go; there is also no need to install any extra network protocols such as printer and file sharing.
No Internet Connection Required:
· Unlike public IM systems, the program only requires a LAN (Local Area Network) to function. You can continue communicating with your co-worker even if your company's Internet connection is interrupted.
· By design, the system does not allow users to talk to people outside of the LAN. This will decrease the amount of time people spend talking to outsiders on non-work related issues using public IM systems.
· Real-time chat, private text conferencing sessions, online presence management, file transfer, emergency alerts/notifications, message logs, powerful rich-text editor, typing indicator.
Familiar User Interface:
· If you are familiar with public IM systems like AOL Instant Messenger or MSN Messenger, then you will be using our products like a pro in no time.
Customizable Exit Message:
· Create your own informative away and exit (offline) status messages.
· The program runs inside the company LAN, so only people who are inside the firewall will have access to the system. The system cannot be spammed from the outside. The data does not leave the LAN so it cannot be snooped by outsiders.
· Unlike public IM systems, our system is designed from the ground up with security in mind. There are no "unsafe" ways to run the program. Only people on the contact list can send/receive messages from you.
· For users that have many simultaneous conversations and don't want dozens of chat windows open. Akeni provides an option to place all the chat conference sessions into one tabbed window.
· All activities are logged to HTML files so that they can be browsed later using your favorite browser.
· You can send out notification even to users who are not currently online. They will receive the notification as soon as they sign on to the system.
Simple Yet Powerful File Transfer:
· The simplest way to transfer files between two computers (even between Linux and Windows). Simply select the person you want to send the file to and choose "Send File". No need to setup FTP servers, figuring out ports, etc. The program supports the sending of arbitrary large files, resume of interrupted transfers, automatic transfer of multiple files, etc.
Extensive Drag & Drop Support:
· Most operations are available via drag and drop. Drag a file from your desktop and drop it on top of the recipient's name to start a file transfer, drag the names of co-workers and drop them in a conference window to invite them to a conference, etc.
· Almost all aspect of the program can be changed and tailor to suit your work habits. For example, all the toolbars are fully customizable to maximize your productivity.
· Available for both Microsoft Windows and Linux. All versions of the software inter-operates seamlessly, making this a good solution for heterogeneous computer environments.
· The evaluation period for use by or on behalf of a commercial entity is limited to 30 days.
What's New in This Release:
· The user interface was updated.