Alice ML is a functional, concurrent, distributed programming language based on Standard ML.
Version: 1.3Alice is a functional programming language based on Standard ML, extended with rich support for concurrent, distributed, and constraint programming.
License: BSD License
Operating System: Linux
Here are some key features of "Alice ML":
· Futures: laziness and light-weight concurrency with data-flow synchronisation
· Higher-order modules: higher-order functors and abstract signatures
· Packages: integrating static with dynamic typing and first class modules
· Pickling: higher-order type-safe, generic & platform-independent persistence
· Components: platform-independence and type-safe dynamic loading of modules
· Distribution: type-safe cross-platform remote functions and network mobility
· Constraints: solving combinatorical problems using constraint propagation and programmable search
The Alice System is a rich open-source programming system featuring the following tools:
· Virtual machine: a portable VM with support for just-in-time compilation
· Interactive system: an interpreter-like interactive toplevel
· Batch compiler: separate compilation
· Static linker: type-safe bundling of components
· Inspector: a tool for interactively inspecting data structures
· Explorer: a tool for interactively investigating search problems
· Gtk+: a binding for the Gnome toolkit GUI library
· SQL: a library for accessing SQL databases
· XML: a simple library for parsing XML documents
What's New in This Release:
· Alice now incorporates some of the proposed extensions for Successor ML.
· The bytecode jitter is now the default execution unit.
· The documentation includes a constraint programming tutorial, and the constraint library now uses the current stable version of Gecode.