eXo Visualiser - An iTunes plugin which generates visual animations that are synchronized to the music
Version: 1.2.4eXo is a visual plug-in for iTunes on Mac OS X. It generates visual animations that are synchronized to the music. It's based on a modular visual synthesizer that is fully hardware accelerated. It should work on a wide variety of machines.
Operating System: Mac OS X
The exo music visualization engine is fully hardware accelerated and features a 2D procedural texture generation unit and a 3D scene description. It allow to mix both approach in the same environment. Currently it's running on Mac OS X and uses OpenGL for the acceleration. It uses PBuffer to create the procedural textures.
There are a few nice things about the engine:
· Uses XML to load description, so it's very flexible
· Has a mathematical parser to evaluate expressions for all behaviour (particles, colors, waveform...)
· Can load 3D shapes in the XML description
· Has a full modular 3D shape synthesizer, really fun to explore !
· A preset system allow to store effect descriptions and to reload them within a simple statement
The only limitations in the number number of 2D or 3D layers are given by the GPU and the available texture memory.
There are global and local variables, global variables give the time, beat information. There can be any number of local variables; they are allocated dynamically when the expressions are read from the description.
The 2D effects are the classical dissolutions, rotozoom, fade... all hardware accelerated through PBuffer. Most of the effects allocate a PBuffer to render it's content and mix it to the final texture. Expressions can be attached to several events: on beat, on init, on render element. So it's very flexible.
The current implementation does not use a lot of OpenGL extensions and so run of a very large spectrum of hardware.
When building the 3D scene, any number of layers can be stacked and the procedural texture can be just rendered as a quad or go through complex shapes like blobs, tunnel...
· PowerPC G3 500MHz or better
· iTunes 2.0 or later
· Hardware Accelerated OpenGL Graphics Card (ATI Rage Pro or better)