Hedinux (formerly Octoz) GNU/Linux is an independently developed desktop distribution with ease-of-use as its prime objective.
Version: 2006.1 Alpha2Hedinux distribution (formerly Octoz) GNU/Linux is an independently developed desktop OS with ease-of-use as its prime objective.
Operating System: Linux
The distribution comes in two editions - a minimalist live CD with the XFce desktop, and a netinstall CD which provides a text-based installer for package installation from a remote FTP/HTTP server.
The netinstall CD supports English, French and German, while the live CD (user: guest, password: guest) has some support for a number of additional languages.
The goal of Hedinux GNU/Linux is to develop an easy-to-use Linux operating system, accessible to all users, irrespective of whether they are computer savvy or not.
Hedinux will come in two editions - one for Linux beginners with an intuitive graphical installer and easy system administration tools, while the other will be "from source", designed as a modular system with binary packages built by the user directly from source code.
Hedinux is an independently developed distribution inspired by the Linux From Scratch and Beyond Linux From Scratch books.
What's New in This Release:
· GNOME 2.14
· Xorg 6.9 with vesa driver by default
· Updated to kernel 188.8.131.52, spcaxx 20060301, unionfs 1.1.3, squashfs3.0
· select locale/keyboard at live-cd boot
· gparted on the live-cd
· and a lot of other packages update...
· And bugs fixes:
· Fixed sshd startup
· add foomatic-db-engine dep for gimp-print. This problem implied not
· full GNOME installation.
· replaced gnome icon by hedinux icon for the GNOME menu
· built dvd+rw-tools and added it to k3b depends
· Keyboard in alphabetical order
· Verbose packages copy
· If you configure your network manually, the config files will be
· copied in the hedinux installation now. No need to configure twice.
· You have a hedinux-netcardconfig icon in the Desktop->Administration
· GNOME menu if you want to configure your netcard after the installation.
· GRUB install on MBR/root/floppy now (no detection of other linux yet)