JD4X is a Java desktop environment for Linux.
Version: 0.6JD4X project is a basic GUI Windowing Environment developed to support the Java Programming Language based on top of the X Window system. It was developed with the intention of providing a Java environment that allows Java programmers to build and extend a windowing system purely in Java. However, the project itself is not pure Java and uses a mixture of Java and C.
Operating System: Linux
JD4X is targeted at the hobbyist programmers who desire to put their skills to the test by customizing a desktop of their own. To do this, the JD4X project sets out to provide a native structural foundation that gives them a greater degree of control over their desktop, JVMs and Java classes that runs on the Linux X Window system, thereby giving the Java programmer full control of their desktop environment.
The project also targets Java users who may desire a Java enabled and component based desktop without excluding other native applications already found on their Linux distribution. It does this by also providing a default windowing desktop to cater to the end users who can select a mixture of native and Java applications that they like on their desktop without having to differentiate between them and the way they are executed.
In general, JD4X aims to isolate the underlying platform system to the background and provide a fully Java GUI front end. JD4X is not about a Java only desktop. It is about empowering the Java user and programmer such that the Java desktop will meet their particular needs.
· J2SDK v1.4 or higher. (v1.5 unsupported)
· X window system v4 or higher.
· Linux x86 kernel v2.4 or higher.
· Numerous GNU system tools.
What's New in This Release:
· This verrsion supports both JDK 1.4 and 1.5 (JDK 5) and Xorg 6.8.2.
· The binary version released is compiled for JDK 1.5 (JDK 5).
· New features include hot key support and many bugfixes.
· However, Swing's single thread model has been known to cause performance problems in this release when running multiple Java applications.