Kate OS is a multitasking operating system from Poland.
Version: 3.0 Alpha1Kate OS is a multitasking operating system, which brings all that is necessary for: programmers, webmasters, administrators and home users. The most important Kate OS features are high efficiency, safety, reliability and low system requirements.
Operating System: Linux
Kate OS contains full support for generally used multimedia. Kate OS is a perfect combination of Linux power and utility. The complexity of installed software makes using the system comfortable, immediately after the installation process. Looking for a perfect solution for the experienced UNIX user? Kate OS is perhaps the best one.
Kate OS combines advantages of all these system types. The installation and configuration process of Kate OS is not as simple as in desktop distributions, but the stability and efficiency are incomparably higher.
The new version contains many improvements and modifications over Kate 1.0. The system has been reconstructed from the ground up and is no longer based on Slackware. Kate OS became much more comprehensive, now it contains greater set of programs and libraries.
Applications, which have been added to simplify your work, are:
· Leafpad- simple, but very functional text editor, similar to Notepad;
· Abiword- advanced text editor;
· Firefox- well-known internet browser;
· Thunderbird- mail client;
· GNU Gadu 2- program working with Gadu-Gadu and Tlen.pl;
Desktop Enviroment- Xfce 4.2 adds some fresh impressions and possibly will satisfy each user. System also contains Aspell and Ispell dictionaries. Kate 2.0 has an extended system of packages, TGZex, which has been adapted for remote actualization.
Kate 2 uses up-to-date sound system ALSA, the older solution OSS is not supported any more. The packages in TGZex standard are adjusted to remote system updating, wich will be available soon- their possibilities have completely replaced the sysupdate tool.
System supports the solution called "supermount", which frees the user from manually mounting and unmounting removable media. To enable this option, you should just uncomment proper lines in /etc/fstab.
And what's the most important thing? The system has acquired a new effectiveness through Kernel's 2.6 infrastructure. Kate 2.0 ZYKLON is a perfect solution for desktop and server, you may enter the world of many recent technologies used in Linux. Reveal their power!
Kate Linux 2.3 requirements:
· 24 MB RAM
· 300 MB HD (For ROOT and SWAP)
· VGA card
· soundcard (optional)
· CDROM (bootable), floppy
What's New in 2.3 Stable Release:
· We are proud to present the newest milestone release of Kate OS II series. Kate OS 2.3 brings 220.127.116.11 kernel with Reiser4 support, the newest glibc library, XFce 18.104.22.168 desktop environment and many other applications in current versions. We have modified system boot scripts so they present the boot sequence in a clear way. Another new addition in Kate OS is a hardware detection tool 'discovery', which detects and configures system hardware. ... Additionally, the DVD edition contains GNOME 2.12.1 and KDE 3.4.3 (optimized for i686 class processors).