Lustro - Export Address Book contacts to comma or tab separated values, hCards and overwrites your Google Contacts
Version: 1.0Lustro is a small application that exports your Address Book contacts to comma separated values, tab separated values, hCards and overwrites your Google Contacts.
Operating System: Mac OS X
Lustro - Polish for mirror - "mirrors" all your Address Book contacts to a bunch of different formats or services:
· CSV or Comma Separated Values: a way to store tabular data. Lustro creates one file with a contact per line and a comma separates the different contact details. This format dates back to the early days of business computing making it a common file format on all computer platforms.
· Tab delimited: looks like CSV but uses tabs to separate the contact details.
· hCard or HTML vCard: is a microformat for publishing your contacts details in HTML. Lustro creates a single XHTML file with all your contacts as hCards. This format may be useful to publish contact details on websites in a semantic way.
· Google Contacts: overwrites all your Google Contacts with the ones in your Address Book. You can now use your Address Book contacts in any Google Contacts enabled (web)application. Probably the best example here is GMail.
You will be asked where to save the file exports (CSV, tab delimited and hCard). The Google export will be exported to Google directly off course.
Address Book supports a few export formats out of the box where you don't need Lustro:
· vCard a standard file format for electronic business cards compatible with most address book applications and e-mail clients. Address Book can create a vCard for a single person or a single vCard with multiple contacts.
· Address Book Archive exports all your contacts to a single file that can be imported in Address Book. This seems the best way to make a quick backup from all you contacts. It's also the only format that supports group information making it more complete than the other formats.
Address Book also synchronizes with Exchange, Yahoo!, MobileMe, and Google if you enable this in the preferences.Lustro still includes the Google Contacts export as the Address Book syncing only works if you have connected an iPhone or iPod Touch before and the syncing mechanism is not perfect at the time of writing (e.g. company cards show an empty name in the GMail contacts list).
Here are some key features of "Lustro":
· GMail ready
Lustro exports you Address Book cards to Google Contacts so you can use them in GMail right away.
· hCard export
hCards represent people, companies and organizations in semantic HTML. With Lustro you can easily copy and paste these your contacts as hCards for using on your website.
· CSV and TAB export
Address Book exports vCards out of the box but some other programs still need CSV or TAB files for importing your contacts. With Lustro you have them ready when you need to.
· Auto updates
Lustro can look for new versions and automatically update when needed.
Your Google password is stored in the systems Keychain as an Internet password: available also to third party applications.
Avalailable in English and Dutch. Feel free contribute your own language if you want.
· Free, forever
Lustro is - and always will be - completely free for everyone to use.
NOTE: Lustro is licensed and providede under the terms of the MIT License.