LXDE is a lightweight X11 desktop environment.
Version: 0.3.2.1LXDE is a lightweight X11 desktop environment. This project aimed to provide a new desktop environment which is useful enough and keep resource usage lower at the same time. Useabiliy, speed, and memory usage are our main concern.
Operating System: Linux
Here are some key features of "LXDE":
· Lightweight, runs with reasonable memory usage
· Fast, rund well even on older machines produced in 1999
· Good-looking, gtk+ 2 internationalized user interface
· Easy-to-use, the user interface is simple, but usable enough
· Desktop independent (suprise! Every component can be used without LXDE)
· Standard compliant, follows the specs on freedesktop.org
· Suitable for old machines
· PCManFM: File manager, provides desktop icon
· LXPanel: Desktop panel
· LXSession: X11 session manager
· IceWM: Window manager (This is not developed by us, but we use it as our default window manager), can be replaced by any other window manager like fluxbox, openbox, metacity, ...etc.
· LXMusic: Default music player, a very simple XMMS2 client
· The hardware requirements of LXDE is similiar to Windows 98 (Maybe a little bit higher). So an old Pentium II CPU is enough.
· After X11 and LXDE are started, the total memory usage is about 45 MB on i386 machines. (This value may be higher or lower according to different system configurations.)
· Though LXDE itself doesn't require better hardware, other applications under X do need it. For example, Firefox and OpenOffice.org 2 are quite memory-hungry. So it's recommended that you have RAM more than 128 MB.
What's New in This Release:
· Upgrade lxpanel to 0.3.5.
· Provide default config files for lxsession-lite.
· Add a small xsettings daemon so gtkrc files are no longer needed.
· Some little fixes.