muLinux is a minimalistic Linux distribution, suitable for old computers. X11, GCC, VNC, SSH, Samba, Netscape etc.
Version: 14r0muLinux is a minimalistic Linux distribution, suitable for old computers. X11, GCC, VNC, SSH, Samba, Netscape etc. are supported on additional addon floppies. It can be installed from DOS/Win9x or Linux, without repartitioning.
Operating System: Linux
The "mu" stands for a Greek letter (see Unicode Latin-1 char 0x0b5) frequently used for indicating the millionth part of something. for example: "mu meter" (m) stands for micro meter and is the one millionth part of a meter. The reason for the name "muLinux" is its tiny size.
· To contain in one single place all what is learnt about Linux, creating a type of live "collection of notes", and protecting it from any loss of information that the various versions of Linux sometimes create.
· To begin to play with an operating system if one does not have the possibility to install a recent distribution of Linux on the hard disk.
· To have a portable operating system, to use in ad-hoc locations or locations without configured and functioning software.
· A change of heart... "Proselytism, proselytism..."
Here are some key features of "muLinux":
· An open script-based system (You can look inside the scripts, learning about Linux configuration policy).
· A pluggable, incremental file-system. (The various add-ons may be inserted and removed without compromising the functionality).
· The System runs in RAM, and does not require installation, but it can be "cloned" to the HD or a CD-ROM.
· The System uses profiles: a pool of configuration data always saved.
· The same installation archive for Linux and Windows users.
What's New in This Release:
· "mu -iso" now will create a bootable ISO image
· syslogd remote feature ( by Dirk Heilemann)
· boot process simplied
· bug-fixes: Xvnc, dhcp, setserial, tell command, smail,
· a lot of improvements in the "Mu" script
· general check-up