Netdisco is an Open Source web-based network management tool
Version: 0.95Netdisco is an Open Source web-based network management tool.
Operating System: Mac OS X
Netdisco is a network management application targeted at large corporate and university networks. Data is collected into a Postgres database using SNMP and presented with a clean web interface using Mason.
Designed for moderate to large networks, configuration information and connection data for network devices are retrieved by SNMP. With Netdisco you can locate the switch port of an end-user system by IP or MAC address.
Data is stored using a SQL database for speed and scalability. Layer-2 topology protocols such as CDP (Cisco Discovery Protocol) optionally provides automatic discovery of the network topology.
The network is inventoried by both device model and operating system (like IOS). Netdisco uses router ARP tables and L2 switch MAC forwarding tables to locate nodes on physical ports and track them by their IP addresses. For each node, a time stamped history of the ports it has visited and the IP addresses it has used is maintained.
Netdisco gets all its data, including topology information, with SNMP polls and DNS queries. It does not use CLI access and has no need for privilege passwords. Security features include a wire-side Wireless Access Point (AP) locator.
Supported devices: Most any device that speaks SNMP well is supported to some extent. To the full extent Cisco and HP are supported best, followed by a lot of vendors.
NOTE: Netdisco is distributed under the BSD license.
Here are some key features of "Netdisco":
· Central location to disable/enable switch ports: Network administrators can disable and enable ports without having to know enable or privilege passwords. Reasons for switching on/off ports are logged for end-of-the-year auditing and reporting. Non-IOS savvy managers can control port access from a familiar browser interface. This feature was designed with a University Residential Networks (ResNet) in mind.
· Only users you specify in Netdisco will have access to switch off a port. Netdisco will also not allow people to switch off uplink ports by accident.
· MAC Address to switch port resolution.
· IP Address to switch port resolution.
· Find Switch Ports with multiple nodes attached
· Find nodes using multiple IP addresses
· Find nodes by vendor (using MAC address OUI)
· View and Change VLAN assigned to port
· SSID And Channel Information on wireless ports
· Navigation through a Web Interface. Maintenance through a Command Line Interface (CLI).
· Database store for scalability and speed (Postgresql).
· Easily extendible to new network device types and vendors.
· Built-in user system to restrict access to sensitive data and features.
Network Administration and Security
· Administratively enable/disable switch ports from web interface with logging.
· Automatic inventory and search of network hardware.
· Duplex Mismatch Finder for uplink ports.
· Find rouge Wireless Access Points (APs) from the wired-side of network.
· Netdisco creates a clickable graph/map of your network topology.
· Get statistics of the number of actual nodes connected to network and their address-space usage.
· Optional integration with a Pinnacle Database.
· Inventory of Network Devices:
· by Operating System (IOS,CatOS,HP...)
· by Model, Vendor, OSI Layer, DNS Name
· Find devices using IP Addresses without DNS entries.