Noise Filter - iMovie plug-in removes noise
Version: 1.0.1Noise Filter is an iMovie plug-in that takes a page out of elementary noise reduction school. But who says that simple principles don't work? We have developed this plug after an email from Kevin Killion, who pointed us to a simple way astronomers reduce background noise in their photographs: they digitally combine, and then average multiple pictures of the same part of the sky.
License: Free To Try $1.50
Operating System: Mac OS X
Of course, with moving media the results can be less than stellar (pun intented). We found out that it does work, especially if you have a clip filmed under high-gain, low-light conditions. Our plug works by combining the last n (user configurable from 1 to 10) frames, and averaging them.
Therefore, if you have any fast-moving objects in the clip, they will exhibit ghost trails. Depending on their speed, these trails will be more or less pronounced. Very fast objects (i.e those that appear in only one or two frames) will disappear entirely (which is, of course, the definition of noise reduction).
Here are some key features of "Noise Filter":
area of effect
· this rectangle defines which part of the clip is to be effected. to re-size the area, click and drag the handles. to re-position, click and drag inside the rectangle
· press this button to select the whole clip's surface.
· choose the number of frames (1-10) that are used to average each frame. note that the effect takes as many frames to 'take hold' as you have chosen to combine (i.e. if you choose 5 frames, it takes 5 frames to fully take hold). the first frame is always unchanged, since there are no past frames to combine with.
What's New in This Release:
· A problem with the way iMovie 6 handles previews caused noise filter to crash.
· We have removed this bug, and now provided an installer for this vererable and popular plug-in.
· iMovie 3 or higher.