Novell Linux Desktop, powered by SUSE LINUX, provides a leading end-user productivity environment.
Version: 9Novell Linux Desktop 9, powered by SUSE LINUX, provides a leading end-user productivity environment designed specifically to empower businesses to leverage Linux and open source with confidence.
License: Free To Try $50.00
Operating System: Linux
It can be deployed as a general-purpose desktop platform or tailored for use in information kiosks, call-center terminals, or stations for infrequent PC users. Novell Linux Desktop also provides an ideal alternative to high-cost UNIX-based engineering workstations.
Novell Linux Desktop users who are seeking to avoid single-vendor lock-in of their desktop systems can comfortably interoperate with Windows-based users, within or between organizations.
Finally, Novell Linux Desktop, backed by Novell support, training and partners, allows businesses to deploy Linux systems with confidence.
Novell Linux Desktop is built on SUSE LINUX, providing strong security to protect data and reliability to keep personnel productive. SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server, which shares a system core with Novell Linux Desktop, was the first Linux product to receive the Common Criteria CAPP/EAL 3+ security certification; it is currently on target to receive 4+, a new high for Linux software.
In addition, Linux-based platforms are not susceptible to interruptive and costly Windows viruses. Novell Linux Desktop is also extremely reliable: both Novell and SUSE have well-deserved reputations for reliability, with customers reporting uptimes of over a year.
Novell brings a complete enterprise software ecosystem to Linux, providing technical support, training, consulting, indemnification and the extended partner network that IT buyers demand when deploying a strategic platform.
Built for performance and reliability, Novell Linux Desktop is backed by hundreds of software engineers, support staff and consultants who are dedicated to Linux, open source and customer success.
The mature, experienced technical support organization at Novell provides industry-leading 24x7x365 Linux support for a variety of technologies-not just Linux. When it comes to supporting Linux interoperability with other systems and applications, Novell expertise is unmatched in the industry.
Novell also offers a comprehensive set of consulting and training services designed to help businesses mitigate risk and achieve optimal staff performance when moving to the Linux platform.
By giving employees access to training and certification programs that align with their job requirements, Novell helps all levels of an organization-from end users and developers to the IT help desk-achieve a level of comfort and proficiency that will reduce support costs and improve satisfaction and productivity.
Here are some key features of "Novell Linux Desktop":
· OpenOffice.org-The Novell edition of OpenOffice.org is a suite of office-productivity applications that includes spreadsheet, word-processing and presentation tools.
· Mozilla Firefox-Mozilla Firefox is a convenient, easy-to-use Web browser with advanced features, such as integrated search toolbars, tabbed browsing, and powerful security and privacy tools.
· Novell iFolder-Novell iFolder gives users the convenience of having their files available at work, home or on the go while enjoying worry-free security and high-speed mobility.
· Adobe Acrobat Reader-Adobe Acrobat Reader is free software that lets you view and print PDF files on a variety of devices and operating systems.
· Citrix ICA client-The Citrix ICA client provides a method for accessing applications that cannot run natively on Novell Linux Desktop (such as Windows applications hosted on remote servers).
· Macromedia Flash Player-The Macromedia Flash Player displays rich, interactive Web content. With the Flash Player plug-in, Novell Linux Desktop users have access to full-featured media and application experiences through the Mozilla Firefox browser.
· RealPlayer-RealPlayer 10 supports a wide variety of media types, including RealAudio, RealVideo 10, MP3, Ogg Vorbis and Theora, H263, AAC and more, both through a stand-alone player and a Mozilla Firefox browser plug-in.
· System core-Novell Linux Desktop is built on the Linux 2.6 kernel and the core code base of SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9. Consequently, its performance, security and reliability are unmatched among Linux desktops. In addition, it supports wireless networking through a convenient desktop applet that detects, selects and configures wireless 802.11 networks.