Other World Computing's XPostFacto makes it possible to install Mac OS X on some earlier machines
Version: 4.0While Apple has limited its support for Mac OS X to those machines that originally came with a G3 or G4 processor, it is possible to install Mac OS X on some earlier machines.
Operating System: Mac OS X
The unsupported machines that work now are the 7300, 7500, 7600, 8500, 8600, 9500 and 9600, as well the clones that were based on one of these systems (the Umax S900 and J700, and the Power Computing Power Wave and PowerTower Pro).
The original processors in these machines will work (with the exception of the 7500, which requires a processor upgrade). G3 or G4 upgrade cards work as well. Other models that use the PCI architecture may be made to work in time.
Version 4 of Other World Computing's XPostFacto has support for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), but it needs some testing. You should be cautious in installing Mac OS X 10.4, as there may be issues with a new version that are not immediately apparent. It would be prudent to have a good backup in place before attempting to install Tiger.
What's New in This Release:
· Supports Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)!
· Runs on Mac OS 9.x or 10.2 through 10.4.
· Will install Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.4.
· Works with "New World" machines that Apple dropped support for in 10.4 (such as the original iMac, original iBook, and the Lombard Powerbook).
· Avoids the mis-application of the 8 GB limit on "Old World" machines by the Mac OS X Installer.