PIKT is an innovative new systems administration paradigm.
Version: 1.19.0 / 1.19.1 Pre 1PIKT project is a cross-categorical, multi-purpose toolkit to monitor and configure computer systems, organize system security, format documents, assist command-line work, and perform other common systems administration tasks.
Operating System: Linux
PIKT's primary purpose is to report and fix problems, and secondarily to assist with configuration management, but its flexibility and extendibility evoke many other uses limited only by your imagination.
One reviewer said of PIKT, "this is by far one of the most interesting/powerful tools I have seen for Linux administration." Another wrote that PIKT "excels at handling a diverse collection of machines, saves time and eliminates repetition, and gives you a global view of your site."
PIKT has been compared favorably to commercial software costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Yet PIKT is free!
Here are some key features of "PIKT":
· Reporting a Problem (wtmp shrinkage)
· Fixing a Problem (kill idle user sessions)
· Reporting and Fixing a Problem (remove junk files)
· Scanning a Log File (sulog scan)
· Configuring a System (resolv.conf, etc.)
· Auto-Configuring a File (auto-updating sudoers)
· Managing System Security (checksum differences, etc.)
· Formatting a Document (web page publishing)
· Scheduling a Process (centrally managed job scheduler)
· Assisting the Command Line (remote command execution)
What's New in 1.19.1 Pre 1 Development Release:
· This beta release ports PIKT to Mac OS X, resolves several Solaris issues, and fixes several small bugs.