PROPS is an open, extensible Internet publishing system designed specifically for periodicals.
Version: 0.8PROPS is an open, extensible Internet publishing system designed specifically for periodicals such as newspapers and magazines who want to publish online, either exclusively or as an extension of their print publication.
Operating System: Linux
The PROPS project is written entirely in PHP4 using a MySQL database backend, and is free software released under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
Here are some key features of "PROPS":
· Easy to install
· Well-documented, robust API allowing third party developers to create 'plug-ins' to extend base functionality
· Delivery of content to multiple target platforms (HTML, XML/XSL, WAP/WML, text, etc)
· Readers may format a story for printing, or email to a friend
· Pages are presented as static URLs so that 'spider' type search engines may crawl and index them
· Strict separation of design and content - designers control site look and feel by developing templates using standard site editing tools such as Dreamweaver, GoLive, BBEdit, etc., while editors manage site content via a web interface
· Permissions-based multiuser site management screens allow a PROPS site to be maintained by a distributed team of reporters and editors
· Will support the XML-based News Industry Text Format
· Will speak various XML dialects for both import and export, allowing syndication in both directions, and enabling PROPS sites to participate in distributed news networks
· Is targeted at mid-sized publishers serving fewer than one million page views daily, however will be architected to scale through deployment of multiple front-end web servers, separate image servers, etc.
· Reference platform for development is Linux 2.4 with Apache 1.3.x or 2.0, MySQL 3.23 or 4.x, and PHP 4.1 or higher. PHP3 will not be supported. We intend to make sure PROPS will run on other Unix platforms. NT/W2K/IIS support is dependent on whether we get requests for that, and more important, patches and development help.
What's New in This Release:
· PROPS 0.8 is an open, extensible Internet publishing system designed specifically for periodicals such as newspapers and magazines who want to publish online, either exclusively or as an extension of their print publication.