Pyne is an offline newsreader/emailer written in Python using the GTK+ toolkit.
Version: 1.1.0Pyne is an offline newsreader/emailer written in Python using the GTK+ toolkit. I started it because I wasn't happy with the graphical newsreaders available for linux. Of course, a few months later Pan and Knode started to kick arse... oh well.
Operating System: Linux
Pyne 0.6.9 is for gtk1.2, and is a bit old and therefore crappy (it follows). Pyne 1.0.0 is shiny and new and for gtk2.0, and therefore great. Pyne 1.1.0 contains fixes and new features for gtk2.4+ (and mailbox formats are unchanged from 1.0.x, so you can use the two versions interchangably).
Pyne is free software and may be distributed under the terms of the GPL, etc...
Here are some key features of "Pyne":
· Offline, threaded news reading and posting.
· Well... the posting is online actually but that can't be avoided. queued outgoing stuff anyway.
· SMTP sending and POP3 and IMAP4 collection of mail.
· Attachments and all that stuff.
· Simple mail/news filtering.
· Optional expiry of mail as well as news. Useful for mailing lists.
· hmm... nice graphical interface. i'm really scraping the barrel here...
· (Partial) support for MH mailboxes.
· Import and export unix mailbox format.
· External parsing of html messages (lynx -dump)
· Python 2.x.
· PyGTK 2.x.
What's New in This Release:
· Fix clean startup with pygtk-2.6 (and 2.4?....)
· Make use of new gtk.UIManager API. See ui_mainwin.xml if you want to mess with menus and toolbars.
· Replace OptionMenu widgets with Combo Boxes. The code is smaller also.