Save The Penguins is a crazy space shooter with penguins and flying saucers.
Version: 0.02Save The Penguins is a crazy space shooter with penguins and flying saucers.
Operating System: Linux
This is inspired by "Save The Gweeks" for the Archimedes, in which you saved the gweeks from the snerds. I haven't had access to the original, so how close it is I couldn't say.
You control this sphere/circle/whatever with the mouse. Left click to acellerate towards the cursor. Right click to fire lasers. Middle click to pause. Esc to Quit.
The idea is to kill the space ships before they either kill you or all the penguins.
The art for the penguins came from Pingus, the tileset was ripped from supertux.
If anyone would like to contribute levels/art/sound that would be cool.
Here are some key features of "Save The Penguins":
· Scrolling, moving and shooting.
· Tileset defined in simple configuration file
· Loading/Saving level to file with in-game level editor (press E).
· Objects (that is, non-static ones) get damaged when you hit them. The penguins explode in a pile of blood.
· Reasonable collision detection - you have to at least try to get it stuck.
· NEW!! Nice particle-based explosions. Saves me both needing a graphic for it, and it looks pretty cool
· NEW!! Powerups. Don't do much atm. One heals you, the other two hurt you by different amounts. There's a hook to attach a sound to powerup/powerdown for when I get round to it.
· SDL_Image supports music files via SDL_Mixer, so for mod or whatever you need the relevant library installed.
What's New in This Release:
· New event system
· Should now compile correctly on freebsd (see the makefile) and has been tested with g++ 3.4.6, 4.1.1 and 4.2.0 on Linux.
· Got rid of most of the hangovers from the original version.
· Can now resize the playing window.
· Initial support for exceptions
· many small cleanups and bugfixes.