SooperLooper is a live looping sampler capable of immediate loop recording, overdubbing, multiplying, reversing and more.
Version: 1.4.0SooperLooper is a live looping sampler capable of immediate loop recording, overdubbing, multiplying, reversing and more. It allows for multiple simultaneous multi-channel loops limited only by your computer's available memory.
Operating System: Linux
The feature-set and operation was inspired by the impressive Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro (EDP). When used with a low-latency audio configuration SooperLooper is capable of truly realtime live performance looping.
The application is a standalone JACK client with an engine controllable via OSC and MIDI. It also includes a GUI which communicates with the engine via OSC (even over a network) for user-friendly control on a desktop. However, this kind of live performance looping tool is most effectively used via hardware (midi footpedals, etc) and the engine can be run standalone on a computer without a monitor.
SooperLooper is currently supported on Linux and Mac OS X, and any other platforms that support JACK. The OS X package is usable with at least the 0.6 release of JACK OS X. Note that for OS X Tiger, you'll need to get at least version 0.7 of JACK-OSX.
Here are some key features of "SooperLooper":
· Multiple simultaneous multi-channel loops limited only by available RAM
· Record, manually triggered, or via input threshold
· Overdub for adding more audio on top of existing loop
· Multiply, allows increasing loop length by repeating the initial loop beneath (include MultiInrease option)
· Feedback control allows gradual loop fading, active during overdub/multiply and optionally during playback
· Replace audio in loop with new material
· Insert new audio into existing loop
· Substitute audio in loop with new material, while hearing existing material
· Reverse loop playback (even during overdub) at any time, or quantized to loop or cycle boundaries
· Trigger loop playback from start at any time, also supports OneShot triggering which will play the loop once then mute.
· Mute the loop output at anytime
· Undo/Redo allows nearly unlimited undo and redo to previous loop states
· Rate Shift allows arbitrary rate change of loop from 1/4 to 4x normal. Works anytime, even during loop record.
· Save/Load loops in WAV format
· Scratch feature allows DJ-like position scratching (work-in-progress)
· Tempo syncable to MIDI clock, JACK transport, manual or tap tempo, or existing loops.
· Sync Quantize operations to divisions defined by the tempo, and/or existing loops.
· Sync Playback can retrigger automatically to maintain external sync during playback
· SUS (Momentary) operation available for all commands for easy realtime granular
· Crossfading applied to prevent clicks on loop or edit operation boundaries (crossfade length is adjustable)
· Peak metering for all inputs and outputs
· MIDI Bindings are arbitarily definable and can be configured to emulate existing setup (EDP, etc)
· Key Bindings are arbitarily definable for the GUI
· OSC Interface provides the ultimate network-transparent control of the engine
· JACK -- version ≥ 0.80.0 providing real-time low-latency audio interconnection and delivery. If you haven't used JACK before please study the FAQs on the JACK site and check out Linux Audio User Guide and make sure to read the section on JACK. You'll also need ALSA on linux for now.
· wxWidgets (wxGTK or wxMac) -- the toolkit chosen to use for the GUI. It should work with the most recent 2.4.x, 2.5.x, and 2.6.x versions. For best look on Linux, you will want wxGTK compiled against gtk2 using the --enable-gtk2 option to configure. For OS X you will want at least the 2.6.1 version of wxMac.
· libsigc++ 1.2 -- this library is usually already on recent systems, but if not get it and install it. Note that you might have v 2.x installed, but you must additionally install v1.2.x, which coexists peacefully with the newer version.
· libsndfile -- sound file format reading/writing
· libsamplerate -- audio sample rate conversion. This is optional, but rate changing is disabled without it
· liblo ≥ 0.17 -- Lightweight OSC library
· libxml2 -- XML library that is usually already installed on your system.