SPBLinux is a modular mini distribution that runs completely in RAM.
Version: 2.1b13SPBLinux is a modular mini distribution that runs completely in RAM.
Operating System: Linux
SPBLinux can be booted from USB, based on Busybox and Midnight Commander, optional with DirectFB and (since version 2.1) Mozilla; it is possible to create/modify own modules inside SPBLinux.
Here are some key features of "SPBLinux":
· loads from USB storage or other boot devices
· runs in RAM; after bootup no access to boot device required
· basic system fits on two 1.4 MB floppy disks (Linux 2.6 with midnight commander)
· all other components are added as addons: bz2 (and sqf) files in subfolders of folder spblinux on the boot device
· choice which addon subfolders are loaded is at boot time (grub menu and/or grub edit); command loadaddon allows to load addons manually when SPBLinux is running.
· SPBLinux can be built and modified inside SPBLinux
· the command changebz2 your_addon.bz2 opens the addon with midnight commander
· if the gentoo chroot environment is installed, programs can be emerged and compiled
· more information is in the SPBLinux Wiki
· targeted users:
· users who want to create their own customized system
· support and documentation:
· installation on fat formatted USB devices
· run SPBLinux and use the scrip makebootable
What's New in This Release:
· SPBLinux runs smoothly and fast inside coLinux:
· standard disclaimer: coLinux and the X server XMing are beta software and might crash your pc
· Scribus 1.23 compiled for Linux runs as as window of Windows XP (screenshot)
· (the package scribus-spb2-colinux-xp.zip contains all required components)
· english (default) and german user interface preconfigured
· access from SPBLinux to Windows by a shared folder
· user who want to make their own customized version of SPBLinux/coLinux can start with minimal-spb2-colinux-xp.zip
· SPBLinux, only textmode (if graphical programs are wanted the scribus package should be used as starting point)
· ssh daemon running (default root password is root)
· optional, access from SPBLinux to Windows by a shared folder