True3D*Shell is an open source 3D desktop environment that allows users to experience 3D browsing.
Version:True3D*Shell is an open source 3D desktop environment that allows users to experience 3D browsing in a virtual reality universe where information is organized in 'bubbles' connected by 'pipes'. True3D*Shell is based on POSIX, Win32, FreeGLUT, OpenGL and MQ4CPP, and runs on IA32 and IA64 SMP platforms.
Operating System: Linux
A user can browse local and remote filesystems and download and run selected files. It includes a robot mode that allows you to browse automatically.
Here are some key features of "True3D Shell":
· Shell : provides access to the kernel services
· Desktop environment : offers a graphical user interface (GUI) solution to operate a computer
· Avatar : provides a fantastic representations of a person's self with witch user can explore the virtual universe.
· Virtual Reality : users can interact with a virtual environment either through the use of standard input devices such as a keyboard and mouse, or through multimodal devices.
· MVC paradigm : is a software architecture that separates an application's data model, user interface, and control logic into three distinct components.
· Multithreading : Threads are a way for a program to split itself into two or more simultaneously running tasks. Multiple threads can be executed in parallel on many computer systems.
· Grid computing : provides the ability to perform higher throughput computing by taking advantage of many networked computers to model a virtual computer architecture that is able to distribute process execution across a parallel infrastructure.
· MOM paradigms : Message Oriented Middleware is a category of inter-application communication software that relies on asynchronous message passing as opposed to a request/response metaphor.
· OpenGL: binaries are usually included in OS distribution.
· FreeGLUT: OpenGL Utility Toolkit, a window system independent toolkit for writing OpenGL programs.
· MQ4CPP: middleware implementing distribuited messaging between threads.
What's New in This Release:
· This release integrates the DOTCONFPP project to handle configuration files and the LIB3DS project to handle Autodesk files.
· Meshes are separated from the engine and loaded during startup from .3DS files within a texture in .BMP 24 bit RGB format.
· A user can now fully customize this product through a configuration file specified by using the "-f" option at startup.