Ubuntu Linux is a complete desktop Linux operating system, freely available with both community and professional support.
Version: 5.10Ubuntu Linux is a complete desktop Linux operating system, freely available with both community and professional support.
Operating System: Linux
The Ubuntu team is proud to announce Ubuntu 5.10 Server, the first release of Ubuntu designed especially for server environments.
Like the standard desktop Ubuntu, it occupies a single CD. However, it is distinguished by the following features:
- Includes server-oriented kernels with out-of-the-box automatic support for multiprocessor systems
- Includes a wide variety of popular server applications such as apache, mysql, postgresql, php, zope, openldap, bind, samba, all on the single CD, ready for installation
- A slim default installation, occupying just 400 megabytes: add only the software you need, for a clean, maintainable configuration.
- Provides no desktop environment (GNOME, KDE, etc.) by default
- Safe and text-oriented boot mode for better clarity and infinite justice on boot.
The default installation is secure by design, with no network ports active after installation and access to free security updates activated. Network services are activated only when explicitly installed.
As always, it's supported with regular releases, a commitment to security updates for 18 months after each release and professional technical support from many companies around the world.