webCDwriter can be used to make the CD- and DVD-writer(s) connected to a Linux box available to all users in your network.
Version: 2.8.2webCDwriter can be used to make the CD- and DVD-writer(s) connected to a Linux box available to all users in your network.
Operating System: Linux
webCDwriter consists of the server CDWserver and the clients webCDcreator and rcdrecord. CDWserver stores the files transmitted by the clients, reserves the CD-writer and controls the CD-writer using cdrecord.
webCDcreator is a Java applet that runs within your browser or by Java Web Start, assists you when putting together a CD, and transmits the files. Finally rcdrecord is a command line client that tries to offer the functionality of cdrecord over the network with full multi-user support.
Here are some key features of "webCDwriter":
· multi user support
· the client webCDcreator can run as a JavaTM Web Start application or as an applet within your browser
· fully web-based - no installation on the clients
· supports data CDs, audio CDs and multisession
· use the image of a bootable floppy to make a bootable CD for PCs
· the ISO image of data CDs is created while burning (saves time and disk space)
· MP3 decoding for audio CDs using mpg123
· multi writer support (connected to the same server) burning independent sessions
· export of server directories
· verifying the CD after writing it (optional)
· copying a data CD in a CD-ROM drive on the server "on the fly" to the CD-writer
· user accounts
· upload the files from one machine and burn them by another one
· command line client rcdrecord
· Catalannew, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Korean and Spanish web pages
· Catalannew, Chinese, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Sloveniannew, Spanish and Swedish messages in webCDcreator
· If you get empty boxes instead of the characters, try to modify your font.properties file.
· Note: Chinese and Korean support is still experimental. I need feedback on this!
· the server was tested on Mandrake Linux 9.0
· at least 800 MB of free disk space on the server for one session
· JavaTM Web Start 1.0.1 and above
· JavaTM Plug-in 1.2 and above
· Netscape Communicator 4.5x to 4.7x
· mkisofs sometimes fails to build an image
· Netscape fails to run webCDcreator on Mac OS
· webCDwriter requires cdrecord-1.10 if used on Linux kernel 2.4
· mpg321-0.1.5 (Red Hat Linux 7.2) runs into an endless loop
· Since Linux kernel 2.6.8 CDWserver (the server of webCDwriter) has to run with "root" privileges to enable cdrecord to burn CDs.
What's New in This Release:
· This release contains some adaptations for recent versions of Ubuntu Linux.