Dave Gnukem is a retro 2D scrolling platform shooter. It is inspired by and similar to Duke Nukem 1, a famous 1991 classic. It currently runs on Windows, Linux, macOS, OpenBSD, MorphOS and more. It's not a clone or remake, but more like a parody.
Version: 1.0.1Dave Gnukem is a retro-style 2D scrolling platform shooter. It is inspired by and similar to Duke Nukem 1, a famous 1991 classic.
Operating System: Windows
It currently runs on Windows, Linux, macOS, OpenPandora, MorphOS, OpenBSD, ClockworkPi GameShell and more. It's not a clone or remake; it's more like a parody, just not very funny. Source code available.
Storyline:The year is $CURRENTYEAR+8. An evil genius, Dr Proetton, is infecting the world's computers with a virus called SystemD, crippling them. Only you can stop him.
You must find the floppy disk with the Devuan Antivirus on it, and install it on the master computer, which is hidden in Vault7.
Any resemblance to actual persons or entities is purely coincidental.
TL;DR Shoot anything that moves.
- Now with less crashes
- Nostalgic references to technology nobody uses anymore
- Game took forever to complete, like Duke Nukem Forever
- Detects and corrects wrongthink
- Conveyor belts
- Arcane command-line parameters nobody will use
- A surprisingly bearable 18 frames per second
- Something that sort of resembles a cannon on wheels
- Software doesn't spy on you
- Cutting edge lighting effects you'd expect from 1990
- SystemD integration
- Safe for use during pregnancy
- Red balloons
- Bugs older than your children
- Integrated level editor
- Fans that blow you ;)
- Now with extra-retro simulated EGA/CGA settings, you'll feel like you're in the 90s again or your money back
Version 1.0.1: New extra-retro settings to simulate EGA and VGA displays (you'll feel like you're in the 90s again or your money back)