Java Fortune Teller is a Java version of the fortune game from BSD.
Version: 0.6This program is a port of the famous BSD game fortune.
Operating System: Linux
This program currently can only be run via the command line. It is ideal for use with various e-mail clients like pine,mutt etc. to insert random quotes at the end of your e-mail or for displaying a random quote when a user logs into your unix box. A more advanced application could be to display random tips in your program.
Here are some key features of "Java Fortune Teller":
· Written in Java, hence Platform Independent
· Handles multiple quote files.
· Supports fortune style cookie files.
· Supports passing various command line options. More options are being integrated in.
· Easily integrable into other JAVA programms.
· Easy and straighforward code.
· Licensed under GPL which means you can access the source code and make it better according to your likes.
· A JAVA supported Operating System - Linux,Windows, Mac OS etc.
· The java runtime enviornment(JRE) to run the application and the java software development kit(SDK) to compile the project. You can get both at the java homepage.
· A command line enviornment(like bash on UNIX based machines or DOS on windows machines).
What's New in This Release:
· Arraylists are used again but they are used more effeciently this time around.
· jfortune now assigns probability to each file, then gets a random no. and checks that no. against the probabilities assigned and then prints a quote. This means that larger files will have a higher probability for having a quote printed from it.
· You can tell jfortune to consider all files equally when printing out a quote.
· The output mechanism is more modular now with one method being sent all the output. This method knows if the output is to be returned as a string or is to be printed out on the console(or wherever you are running it from).