WOMP! is a micro linux distribution focussed on multimedia.
Version: 0.6 Beta3WOMP! is a micro linux distribution focussed on multimedia. Basically, it takes only 13 to 30 MB depending on the selected options on a bootable CD, and allow playing a wide range of multimedia files (video/audio/image) without installing any software on the computer's hard drive.
Operating System: Linux
Additionnally, WOMP! can also be installed on the hard drive either to run in memory just like a bootable CD, or to run from a read-only loopback file which is interesting for machines with low memory. It can the be booted either by a floppy bootdisk or by a bootable CD (in that case it will only take 1.5MB on the CD leading all remaining space for multimedia files.
WOMP! uses the FrameBuffer for playing videos and X for interacting with the user. Hardware acceleration is provided by vidix. Cards that support vidix include nearly all ATI and Matrox cards, also NVidia in last release. Nevertheless even not accelerated, provided the processor is sufficiently recent there will be no problems playing divx files in fullscreen.
Here are some key features of "WOMP":
· Select title
· Select angle
· Select language
· Select subtitle
Play Video CD
Play Audio CD
Play Video files
· A wide range of video formats and codecs are supported, non exhaustive list include Avi, Mov, Matroska, Ogm for containers, DivX5, XviD etc for codecs.
· Text subtitles are rendered with some fixed fonts or with scalable truetype fonts.
· Subtitles from Matroska (mkv) and Ogm are availables
· External text subtitles
· Vobsub subtitles are also supported
· Play Audio files (mp3, ogg etc)
· View Pictures (jpeg, png, tiff, gif etc)
· Playlist management for video, audio and pictures.
· Scan CDs and local partitions for media files
· Internationalization : English, french, Czech, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese
· Network configuration by dhcp or manual
· Support for ppp internet connection
· Browse the web either with w3m (text based browser) or with MozillaFirebird
· Mount remote shares nfs or smb(windows shares)
· Support usb-storage devices (USB keys/pen cameras zip)
· Support most soundcard either by Alsa or OSS
· Mouse : usb,ps2,serial
· PCMCIA support for network and modem
· Support most PCI Network adapter
Many Installation possibility :
· Run in memory from bootable CD
· Run in memory from hardisk or other support
· Run within a read-only loopback file for low memory machines
What's New in This Release:
· Very minor update -> added russian and portuguese translation.
· To update womp-0.6-beta2, replace the wompmem.bz2 file by the one in this release.
· To update womp-0.6-beta2-devel, unpack ( tar xjf ) update0.6beta3.tar.bz2 in the rootbase.
· Will add the loopback file when I have time!