Xara Xtreme is the world's fastest and, we believe, most versatile graphics software.
Version: 0.7-Revision1692Xara Xtreme is the world's fastest and, we believe, most versatile graphics software. Xara LX Xtreme program is primarily a vector graphics program, but is one of the new generation of cross-over products that handles photos and drawings with equal ease. Xara Xtreme is also renowned for its slick, easy-to-use and easy-to-learn approach.
Operating System: Linux
Xara Xtreme remains the most powerful (in terms of performance) and the most productive product available - these are objective measures and not just marketing spiel. Xara pioneered many of the graphic technologies that have become industry standard, from the first vector anti-aliasing, to the first vector transparency, including graduated transparency. The latest versions continue to innovate with dozens of industry firsts such as real-time vector feathering, embedded JPEG, the world's most efficient file storage, and unrivalled performance.
Linux needs a top-tier commercial-standard graphics program. The Linux desktop has come on leaps and bounds in the last year or so but it still lacks any vector or general purpose graphics program to genuinely compete with Windows and Mac commercial products. And although desktop Linux is evolving at a rapid rate, the platform is behind in the graphics market. We intend to change that.
Xara X has been a commercial shipping Windows product for 10 years (and non-Windows versions go back even further). It's a modern, object orientated design that's highly stable, and has gained hundreds of thousands of users. Our users and customers have produced artwork that's more than a match for artwork created with any other vector graphics program.
Xara Xtreme on Linux will not only bring a leading-edge graphic tool to the platform, but with community assistance, has the potential to become the world's most powerful, easiest-to-use and simply the world's best graphics program. If we get it right this could bring the Linux desktop into whole sectors of the market that is has not been able to address before.
Here are some key features of "Xara LX Xtreme":
· Open most XAR files
· Select objects with the select tool.
· Drag objects around
· Use the selection handles to scale and shear objects.
· Use the zoom tool
· Use the push tool and/or middle mouse button to push the page around
· Group and ungroup (Ctrl-G, Ctrl-U)
· Undo/redo using the toolbar buttons
· Use the shape editor to edit and create shapes
· Draw rectangles using the rectangle tool
· Draw ellipses using the ellipse tool
· Use the arrange toolbar to change the z-order of objects
· Use the arrange toolbar to slice/join/add/subtract shapes
· Delete objects
· Fill and transparency tools now work
· The shadow and freehand tools partially work
· The color line is now present and you can click on it or drag from it to select colors.
· ...... and as more and more functionality starts to work there's undoubtedly many other areas not listed here that work now too!
· GTK+ version 2.6.x
· wxWidgets and a compatibility C library called either libstdc++5 or compat-libstdc++-33 (depending on the distro -- some distros don't offer it at all).
What's New in This Release:
· Text tool improvements. Ruler support added to allow left, right and 1st line margins, and 4 types of tab stop (left, center, right and decimal), controlled by dragging on the page rulers. This area is now more powerful than the Windows version.
· Drag and drop file import. You can now drag files that can be opened (e.g. .xar, JPG, PNG etc) onto documents to import them
· Support added for more export and import formats using ImageMagick. These include TIFF, BMP, PICT, PPM, PDF (as bitmap), PSD and XPM. These are in addition to the existing built-in types JPEG, GIF and PNG. Other ImageMagick supported types can be added if there is demand.
· Brand new SVG import filter (work in progress). But be aware this is early days, and has limited support for graduated fill and transparency, and no support for text so far. Drag and drop should work for SVG files.
· Bitmap export dialog now includes a 2 preview windows. You can compare different export settings or different export types side by side prior to export.
· Product rename: Now that the product is increasingly close in functionality to the original Xara Xtreme, we're renaming the product Xara Xtreme for Linux or (Linux Edition). The executable filename remains as xaralx for now and xaralx is still referred to in many places, but we’d like all distribution package names and other naming of the tool to be Xara Xtreme rather than Xara LX.
· New popup slider for feather tool. Xara offered a bounty for this brand new control to be implemented into wxWidgets so that it could be used in Xtreme and in other applications that use wxWidgets. It’s not complete yet but when it is it will be used elsewhere in the program too.
· Printing improved. Designs are now fitted to the page and a bug in the postscript generation has been fixed.
· Gallery & Toolbar reliability improvements - galleries now remember their position.
· Working Adobe Illustrator import (to the same level as the Windows version, AI version 8 and earlier)
· Improvements to Autopackage installation including much faster install and file type registration (GNOME users can now launch Xtreme by double-clicking .xar files). We recommend using Autopackage as the quickest simplest way of installing and particularly of upgrading Xara Xtreme.
· Numerous other stability improvements and bug fixes.