KmPg2 is a user friendly MPEG2 encoding wizard that allows the user to create high quality DVD compatible MPEG2 streams.
Version: 1.96KmPg2 is a very simple to use MPEG2 encoding wizard that allows the user to create high quality DVD compatible MPEG2 streams, without requiring any technical knowledge.
Operating System: Linux
Creating high quality MPEG2 streams involves a lot more than simply feeding the input video to mpeg2enc/transcode/mencoder/etc.
The input video needs to be carefully prepared by pulling it through a chain of stream processing tools like low-pass filters, color correction filters, static and dynamic chroma and luma noise filters, scalers, and so on.
This processing chain needs to be tuned in such a way that all irrelevant data (like noise) is removed before the video enters the encoder. KmPg2 uses the video processing / encoding tools from the MJPEGTools project to achieve this.
KmPg2 features a 'profiler' that enables the user to interactively create custom pre-processing pipelines that are optimised for a specific type of video material. These preprocessing pipelines (profiles) can be stored and used with the actual encoding wizard.
For example, you could create a profile that is designed especially for restoring a single aging VHS tape, or you could create a profile tuned for your digital camcorder and re-use it for every new recording that needs to be encoded.
At this moment KmPg2 accepts only one format of input video: Raw Sony DV video streams. This is the video format that most people use nowadays for high quality video processing and editing. Support for using AVI files for input is expected in future versions.
Here are some key features of "KmPg2 MPEG2 Encoder":
· Produces DVD compliant MPEG2 streams
· Seperate chroma/luma noise filtering
· Low-Pass filtering support
· Contrast/Brightness/Saturation correction
· White balance correction
· Special black-and-white mode
· Crop image to Widescreen (16:9) or Panavision (2.35:1)
· Output conforms to Rec.601 specifications
· Both constant bitrate and variable bitrate encoding
· Unsharp masking
· Supports progressive and interlaced source material
· Support for removing overscan area
· Provides feedback to user about average/peak bitrates
· Show output on screen while encoding
· Generate encoding shell scripts
· Generate quick preview-encodings of parts of source video
· Kommander >= 1.0 (part of kdewebdev >= 3.3.0)
· MJPEG Tools >= 1.7.0
· SMIL Utils
What's New in This Release:
· Add workaround for X.org Composite Extension problems