An attempt to reimplement the popular role playing game Morrowind.
Version: 0.6OpenMW is an attempt to reimplement the popular role playing game Morrowind. The project's goal is to be a fully playable, open source implementation of the game. You must own Morrowind to use OpenMW.
License: GPL v3
Operating System: Linux
To give you a better idea of what this project is about, here are some of the aims for the future of OpenMW:
- be a full featured reimplementation of Morrowind
- run natively on Windows, Linux and MacOS X
- support all existing content, including Tribunal, Bloodmoon and all user created mods
- allow much greater modability: change game rules, create new spell effects, etc through scripting.
- fix system design bugs, like the "dirty" GMST entries in mods, and the savegame "doubling" problem
- improve the interface and journal system
- (possibly) improve game mechanics, physics, combat and AI
- (possibly) support multiplayer at some point
- (possibly) improve graphics to use more modern hardware
It's a pretty ambitious list, and there's a lot left to do before these goals can become reality. You should check below for information about the current development status.
OpenMW is released under the GNU General Public License version 3. It is written in the D programming language, and all source code has been written completely from scratch. It also builds on various other open source tools, most notably OGRE for graphics.